Chemistry Education – Advanced Certificate Program
Advanced Certificate in Secondary Chemistry Education
This 25-semester hour program is for students who have an undergraduate degree in Chemistry, as well as a master's degree in this content area. You can be certified in only one year.
General Program Requirements:
- Introductory Courses - Semester Hours: 7
- General Methods Courses - Semester Hours: 6
- Special Methods Courses - Semester Hours: 3
- Student Teaching and Required Seminars - Semester Hours: 9
General Education Prerequisites:
- Three semester hours introductory Psychology of equivalent or established competency in the field.
- Meet the requirements of the general education for initial certification.
Content Area Requirements in the Area of Specialization: Science Education: 30 semester hours in the content area for which certification is sought:
- Chemistry: Including Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Quantitative Analysis, and Physical Chemistry or equivalents or established competency in the field and additional course work in Geology (Earth Science), Physics, Biology and Calculus-based mathematics or equivalents or established competency in the field.
NOTE: Students can establish some competency by documenting competency via portfolio.
For a detailed plan of study, requirements, and other important information, please view or download this Adobe PDF file.