Applying for Graduate Studies
Hofstra Graduate Nursing Application
Graduate Nursing applicants at Hofstra University apply through the Nursing Centralized Application Service (NursingCAS). For more information, please contact April.Bortzfield[at]hofstra.edu or 516-463-7335.
- BS in Nursing from an accredited institution
- GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale for baccalaureate nursing degree and subsequent graduate work.
- An unencumbered New York state RN license.
- Nursing clinical experience
- Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP): Prior to entering the clinical coursework of the MS program in the fall of year 2, a minimum of two years of current clinical experience is required.
- Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (AGACNP): Prior to entering the clinical coursework of the MS program in the fall of year 2, a minimum of two years of critical care experience is required.
- Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP): Minimum of one (1) year current clinical experience. Psychiatric/behavioral health experience preferred.
- Prerequisite requirements
- Basic health assessment course
- Statistics course
- American Heart Association Certification
- FNP: Current copy of Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.
- AGACNP: Current copy of Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certification.
- PMHNP: Current copy of Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.
- A current resume
- Please include relevant work experiences (including dates of employment by month and year), evidence of community service, examples of leadership and commitment to the profession of nursing, and memberships in professional nursing organizations.
- Three letters of recommendation
- One letter of recommendation must be from the applicant’s current employer.
- Additional letters can be from the following sources, attesting to the applicant’s capacity and potential for master’s study:
- The director or a faculty member from the most recent academic program attended (if applicant has been a nursing student in the last five years).
- A person who can attest to the applicant’s professional work.
- Personal Statement
- Please describe in detail a time when you challenged the existing norms in healthcare in order to improve the quality of patient care. (500 word limit)
- Professional head-shot photo
- A pre-admission interview which includes an on-site essay.
- Comprehensive background check.
- Student Health Requirements: Proof of physical examination within one year of application, student NP liability insurance and health insurance, current immunizations for MMR, Chickenpox, Hepatitis B, Diphtheria, Tetanus, and Pertussis.
Admission is based on a comprehensive review of multiple criteria. The department understands that any single criterion may not reliably predict a student’s potential for success in the program.