International Admission

Obtaining an I-20

What is an I-20 Form?

To study in the United States as an international student, you will need to apply for an F-1 Visa from the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your home country. The first step in the process is obtaining a Form I-20 from Hofstra University. A Form I-20 is an official government document which certifies that you are eligible to be an F-1 nonimmigrant student at Hofstra and is issued after acceptance and proof of financial funding.

How to get your I-20

Submit the following to the office of Undergraduate or Graduate admissions.

  • Completed I-20 Application Form
  • Copy of valid passport
  • Official bank statement or letter on bank letterhead. This does not have to be presented in US currency, however, must be in English.*
  • Affidavit of Support Form (required if the bank statement is not in the student’s name). Please fill in the U.S. dollar equivalent that the sponsor promises to provide.
  • Submission of nonrefundable tuition deposit (only required for Graduate applicants)

*Minimum available funds required for the upcoming semester are listed here. (Amount is estimated total cost of tuition, living expenses, and all fees for one year)

If you are a transfer student currently studying on a US student visa, you must additionally submit:

Students who have a dependent spouse and/or children traveling with them to the US must additionally submit:

Students who have a room and board sponsor must additionally submit:

Helpful additional information:
Acceptable forms of Financial Evidence
Scholarship Opportunities
Estimated Cost of One Year of Study and Living Expenses