Scott Skodnek Business Development Center
Entrepreneurship Assistance Center Program
October 4 – December 13, 2021
BE YOUR OWN BOSS - START AND EXPAND YOUR OWN BUSINESS
Do you want to start or grow your own business? Enroll in a ten-week program at Hofstra University to learn how to expand your market and manage your finances. Participants are eligible for the Capital One pitch competition with $5,000 total prize money at the end of the course and will receive a certificate of competition. Participants will receive 60 hours of training for $550; scholarships are available based upon eligibility.
1. Workshops: Over the course of 18 workshops, you will learn how to:
- Draft your Business Model Canvas and conduct customer discovery to ensure your product fits with the needs of the marketplace.
- Create a customer profile and conduct a competitive analysis.
- Utilize the latest digital marketing techniques, social media, branding, and media strategies to grow your business.
- Create an executive summary and pitch presentation to communicate your value proposition
- Perfect your sales strategies.
- Determine forms of ownership.
- Apply for loans, assess credit, and obtain insurance.
- Create an operating budget for your business.
- Manage your employees.
- Develop financial management skills including recordkeeping and financial statements.
2. Mentoring – Participants will receive at least 10 hours of technical assistance from the Hofstra EAC’s experienced network of entrepreneurs, EAC staff and instructors, banking, loan, insurance, and legal experts. Participants will also enroll in Business Mentor NY.
3. MWBE certification assistance: Eligible companies will receive counseling and technical assistance on MWBE certification through New York State Empire State Development.
4. Participants will leave the course will the following to help support the growth of their business:
- Executive Summary
- Business Model Canvas
- Pitch Presentation
- Data from Customer Discovery Interviews
- Financial Statements
Since 1991, more than 1,431 entrepreneurs have enrolled in the Entrepreneurship Assistance Center. Their businesses were in the planning stage or already in existence and ready for expansion. This program is offered annually in the spring and fall on Monday and Wednesday evenings from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. (click on schedule above for a full list of dates). The program fee of $550 along with an application (see above) is required to register for the program. Scholarships are available and may be awarded at the conclusion of the program to select participants; qualifications for scholarship consideration include participants who exemplify a strong commitment and dedication to their business venture, attend all workshops and submit all assignments.
For more information contact:
Kenia Nuñez, Assistant Dean at 516- 463-5285 or Kenia.Nunez@hofstra.edu