Creative Arts Therapy Counseling
- Hofstra University's Master of Arts in Creative Arts Therapy Counseling program is designed to prepare students for licensure in New York State as a Creative Arts Therapist and as a registered and board certified Art Therapist, and is approved by the American Art Therapy Association (AATA).
- Hofstra University is only a 30-minute train ride to Manhattan. Hofstra students may attend events sponsored by the New York Art Therapy Association (NYATA), the New York chapter of the American Art Therapy Association, recreational and cultural activities, etc.
- Full-time students can complete the curriculum in two to three years. The program also accommodates part-time and non-matriculated students.
- Creative Arts Therapy Counseling students are placed into the field in their first year in the program through Practicum, during which they are engaged with clients under the supervision of a Licensed Creative Arts Therapist. In addition, internship opportunities are offered at prestigious institutions throughout the metropolitan New York area.
- The program sits in the Department of Counseling and Mental Health Professions, which allows students to include courses from related programs into their personal plan of study.
- We offer diverse electives that expose students to expressive therapies that can enhance the art therapy process, including music therapy, dance therapy, play and sand tray therapy, as well as a study abroad option in Ireland.
- The program teaches a wide variety of theoretical approaches and clinical and creative applications which prepares our graduates to work within a variety of settings and with a variety of populations.
- The Creative Arts Therapy Club at Hofstra (CATCH) is a student run organization that is extremely active in the art therapy community. They host community art shows, bring in prominent, cutting-edge, art therapy professionals as guest speakers, and take part in our annual conference.
Creative Arts Therapy Club of Hofstra (CATCH)
The Creative Arts Therapy Club at Hofstra (CATCH) is an active graduate student club focusing on the education and profession of art therapy. CATCH provides mentorship, resources, and allows students to cultivate long-lasting friendships and professional connections. The club serves as a forum for students and alumni to communicate, network, incorporate supplemental learning, and participate in social activities.
CATCH hosts several events throughout the academic year. These include a welcoming event to bring all students together, professional guest speakers from the art therapy community, the Annual CATCH Art Show, museum visits, community outreach projects and end of the year party. The CATCH club also provides students with an annual yearbook in which each student contributes artwork.