Department of Engineering
The DeMatteis School recently completed a $12 million renovation of all its academic facilities. Laboratories and classrooms received new technologies, machinery, and equipment, all of which are accessible to trained undergraduate engineering and computer science students. Hofstra is now home to a wide range of tools that enhance our students' education. As entrepreneurship is an integral focus of the program, technologies such as the 3D printer laboratory allows students to create prototypes and experiment with projects at early stages in their careers. Below are some technologies we are proud to feature in our engineering laboratories. Visit hofstra.edu/comscifacilities for information on Computer Science facilities.
- Asylum MFP-3D-BIO Atomic Force Microscope
- HR-2 Discovery Rheometer
- 260 Connex 3D Printer
- Zeiss Primo Vert Microscope
- Axio Observer Z1 Fluorescent Microscope
- Stepone Plus qPCR System
- BD FACSVerse 3 Laser Flow Cytometer
- Nanodrop 2000 UV-Vis Spectrophotometer
- Fluxion Bioflux Microfluidic System
- Assorted Peristaltic and Syringe Pump
This laboratory is used for instruction and experiments in the environmental engineering component of the Civil Engineering program.
- Eppendorf 5810R Refrigerated Centrifuge w/Cell Culture Package
- Humboldt 500 kip Compression Machine
- Cole-Parmer dual-syringe infusion pump
- Tuttnauer/Heidolph Brinkmann Tabletop Autoclave
- Digital with Printer 0.8 cu ft.
- Hach 2100Q Portable Tubidimeter Kit
- Sieve Shaker
- Proctor compaction apparatus
- Hach DR 6000 UV VIS Spectrophotometer with RFID
- Armfield Aerobic digester
This laboratory is used for the teaching of introductory and advanced level electrical engineering concepts, including the design of electronic and digital circuits. All engineering students use this lab in their introduction to electrical engineering through hands-on instruction in oscilloscope use, transient, and steady-state analysis, and the design of operational amplifiers.
- Digitized Oscilloscopes with Spectrum Analyzers
- Digitized Function Generators
- Digitized Power Supplies
- Digital Circuit Design and Microcontroller Boards
- Computers for Data Acquisition and Computer Aided Design (CAD)
This laboratory is used for the instruction of specific engineering-based software packages. When the laboratory is not being used for instruction, it serves as a general computer laboratory for all engineering students.
- 40 work stations
- Software includes: AutoCAD
- Other engineering design software
In this laboratory, mechanical engineering students perform experiments in fluid mechanics. The subsonic and supersonic wind tunnels as well as the water channel and water table are used for hands-on instruction in laboratory experiments.
- Low turbulence subsonic wind tunnel and Mach 3.2 supersonic wind tunnel
- Water channel: open channel hydraulics
- Water table for flow visualization and shock simulation
First-Year Engineering Laboratory/Technology & Public Policy Forensic Analysis Laboratory – Room 014 Adams Hall
This laboratory is used for teaching of the lab sections of ENGG15: Designing the Human Made World. Students in the course meet in teams weekly in the lab and perform hands-on design experiences. These design experiences culminate at the end of each semester in the grand design challenge, a team-based design competition.
This laboratory is used by all students in the Civil and Mechanical Engineering programs in a laboratory course on the experimental determination of the properties of engineering materials. The laboratory equipment is used to apply axial, flexural, and torsional stresses to test samples as well as non-destructive testing of materials.
- Instron 5kN Single Column Benchtop Test Stands
- Instron 50kN Dual Column Tabletop Test Stand
- Tinius Olsen 30Kip Large Frame Test Stand
- Tinius Olsen 60Kip Hydraulic Sm Frame Test Stand
- Ceast/Intron Pendulum Type Charpy/IZOD Impact Tester
- Amdet 5kN Fatigue Testing System
- Rockwell Hardness Tester
- Heat Treatment Furnace
- Two Buehler MetaServ Metallurgical Grinder/
- Polishers w/PowerHead
- Buehler Simplimet XPS1 Automatic Metallurgical
- Mounting Press
- Buehler Abrasimet 250 Metallurgical Cutting Device
- Nikon Eclipse LV-N Upright Metallurgical Microscope w/
- Nomarski & 5MP Camera
- Phenom G2 Pro Desktop Scanning Electron Microscope
The Robotics and Advanced Manufacturing Laboratory gives DeMatteis School students experience in multidisciplinary systems engineering with a combination of academic rigor and best industry practices. It is designed to instill a human-centered, model-based approach to real-world problem solving and rapid prototyping. Equipment in the lab includes a complete six-work-cell automation facility with two robots, conveyor, and vision system; 10 two-person lab stations with the latest measurement and control hardware and software; a mechanical prototype tester; laser cutter; 3D printer; seven degrees-of-freedom robotic arm; and parallel robot. The lab is used in a sequence of junior and senior-level mechanical engineering lecture and lab courses in a studio mode. Instruction features an integration of presentation, discussion, problem solving by hand and by computer, and hardware used for real-time measurement and control.
This laboratory is used for instruction of Mechanical Engineering students in the design of systems that produce power or refrigeration. Laboratory experiments are designed for applying the theories of thermodynamics and thermal engineering with thermal and energy equipment.
- Heat exchangers
- Air conditioner design testing unit
- Heat pump
- HVAC design tools
The Advanced Manufacturing Laboratory was created to support student and faculty research projects and prototyping needs, and allows for the development of precision components and advanced design concepts. It is available for use by all Engineering and Computer Science faculty and students, and is incorporated into many of our applied science lab curriculums and workshops.
- Stratasys Dimension Elite ABS 3D printer
- Object Connex 260 high-resolution 3D printer
- Modeling Power Wash Station
- Epilog 75w Laser cutter/Engraver