Science & Innovation Center Construction
Projects and Planning
Hofstra University is engaged in major construction, renovation and planning projects campus-wide. See a complete listing below. The outline of the first year Dining Services project completions is located on the Dining Services website.
Building and Construction Projects
- Business School Building
The new 52,000 square foot building adjacent to CV Starr Hall opened in December 2018. The building houses the Frank G. Zarb School of Business departments, student collaborative and study space, labs, School of Business career and admissions services, and the Center for Entrepreneurship and IdeaHUb. Expanded parking area and large entrance plaza and walkway were included in the project. Visit the School of Business website for more information.
- Physical Education Building Second Floor
The second-floor renovations provided new space for the School of Health Professions and Human Services including four new classroom spaces, computer lab and faculty offices, with new floor, ceiling, lighting and audio-visual and information technology.
- New South Campus Parking Lot
- Weller Hall
Renovation refurbished the entire facility, new mechanical equipment and furnishings. Opened in December 2021, home to the Center for Career Design and Development and our educational partner INTO.
- Science & Innovation Center
The Hofstra University Science & Innovation Center is the future home for the School of Nursing and the DeMatteis School of Engineering and Applied Science. The new facility will be 75,000 square feet and will meet specifications to achieve LEED Silver certification status.
- Berliner Hall Lab Upgrade
Sustainable Building and Energy Management
Facilities and Operations demonstrates and supports Hofstra's longstanding commitment to sustainable practices. Some recent projects include:
- Hofstra is an EPA Green Power Partner and purchases 30% green power annually.
- Over 100 bottle filling stations are located across the campus. The first station was installed in 2009.
- Expanded collection of recyclables throughout the campus.
- Lighting Upgrades- Hofstra is continually converting to LED lighting in indoor campus spaces. Improvements to the campus entryways, roadways and parking areas are currently underway.
- Nineteen electric vehicle charging station locations with two parking spots each have been installed across campus.
- REV Campus Challenge Achiever member. The REV Campus Challenge promotes clean energy efforts by recognizing New York State Colleges and Universities that implement clean energy projects and principles on campus, in the classroom and in surrounding communities.
- The USGBC (US Green Building Council) LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Silver Certification was awarded for the extension of the Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell extension in May 2016. The Frank G. Zarb School of Business extension project, connecting to the CV Starr building with a second-floor bridge, was also designed and built to LEED Silver Certification standard, with the United States Green Building Council (USGBC). The current construction of the Science & Innovation Center is also being designed and built to achieve a LEED Silver certification.