Students and alumni from the Department of Fine Arts, Design, Art History have a great breadth of career opportunities open to them. The study of the visual arts gives students a philosophical and practical awareness of the ways in which art reflects and acts upon our culture; it provides a historical foundation for understanding different ideas of aesthetics and provides a point of entry into the multifaceted world of art.
Among 2020-2021 Hofstra graduates who majored in the fine arts, 91% of survey respondents reported that within one year of graduation they were employed and/or attending or planning to attend graduate school. Among those Hofstra graduates who majored in the fine arts and reported salary, the mean annual self-reported salary was $49K.
Examples of Companies Where Our Recent Graduates Are Working:
- Awaken Studio
- Bridgewater Raritan School District
- Continental Accessory Corp
- The Creative Group
- Douglas Elliman Real Estate
- Dover Saddlery
- Flavio and Rosina Studios
- GAP Inc.
- GONG Inc.
- GSH group
- Leigh Adams Advertising
- Marylyn Dintenfass Studio
- NYLON Magazine
- Relix Magazine
- South Country Central School District
- Surroundings Furniture & Interior Design
- Times Beacon Record Newspapers
- Zale Jewelers
Examples of Positions Our Alumni Hold
- Art Director
- Art Foundation Director
- Clothing Designer
- Creative Arts Therapist
- K-12 Art Teacher
- Motion Graphics Television Designer
- Owner, New Media Design Studio
- Photographer, Photo Editor
- User Experience/User Interface Designer
- Web Designer
Examples of Industries Where Our Alumni are Working
- Auction Houses
- Graphic Design
- Web Design
- Motion Graphics Design
- Public Relations
For more information on careers in the visual arts, there is information published by the Occupational Outlook Handbook of the Bureau of Labor Statistics, for careers such as craft artists, enrichment teachers, museum technicians and conservators, graphic designers, and fashion designers.