If you are having any difficulty using this website, please contact the Help Desk at Help@nullHofstra.edu or 516-463-7777 or Student Access Services at SAS@nullhofstra.edu or 516-463-7075. Please identify the webpage address or URL and the specific problems you have encountered and we will address the issue.

Skip to Main Content
Parent and Family Programs

Parent Services


View student's account statement and make payments online.


Add cash to your student's Dutch Debits account online!

Students can access these services through the Student Services menu within the portal.


Information for Parents

  • Non-Emergency Medical Situations


    What services does Student Health Services provide?
    The Hofstra University Student Health Services focuses on providing holistically oriented urgent/emergent health care. This includes initial diagnosis and treatment of injuries and illnesses, and appropriate follow-up for most short-term illnesses. The Center has an open access system for appointments: if students call in the morning, they can usually get an appointment the same day or they can go through their Hofstra portal and make an appointment on line through the Medicat icon. For more details, including location and hours of operation, please consult hofstra.edu/wellness.

    What should my student do for a sore throat or other minor illness?
    Please advise your student to make an appointment with Student Health Services by calling 516-463-6745 or going online through their Hofstra portal. Calling in the morning is preferable than doing it later in the day. Currently, Student Health Services is open 7 days a week during the daytime. Please visit hofstra.edu/wellness for current hours of operation.

    My student reports being medically withdrawn from classes? What does that mean?
    When students are medically withdrawn from classes that usually means that they are missing proof of the immunizations as required by New York State. When medically withdrawn, residential students are also required to leave their residence hall. Students receive multiple email reminders from Student Health Services prior to the deadline notifying them of this requirement. The students should contact Student Health Services as soon as possible to resolve the issue. Once the Center staff clears students in the system, they will automatically be re-enrolled in classes.

    Does Student Health Services staff write and dispense prescriptions?
    Pharmaceutical services are available and include over-the-counter medications as well as a range of prescription drugs, such as common antibiotics. Advanced providers can also write prescriptions that your student can fill in a local pharmacy. Please note that Hofstra Shuttle takes students to the local shopping mall a couple times per week, including Target (that has a pharmacy). Most of the medications that are dispensed at Student Health Services are provided at cost. Students may use their DutchDebit accounts, checks or cash to pay for those medications.

    My student takes medication on an ongoing basis. How can prescriptions be refilled?
    Your student's primary-care provider should provide the prescriptions for chronic conditions. If your student needs a primary-care provider in the area, Student Health Services staff will provide referrals. Student Health Services may provide prescriptions for common medications such as antibiotics.

    What health-related items do you suggest to bring to campus?
    • A copy of the insurance card
    • Name, address and telephone number of his/her primary care provider
    • Knowledge of medications that he/she has been prescribed
    • Emergency contact name and telephone number(s)
    • Thermometer
    • Pain reliever/fever reducer
    • Hot/cold pack
    • Elastic bandage
    • Adhesive bandages
    • Gauze pads and tape
    • Over-the-counter cold/allergy relief medicines
    • For contact lens wearers, have eye glasses available (in case of injury, infection or loss)

    Can parents know if their students visited Student Health Services and discuss the treatment?
    Unless your student gives written permission for that particular visit, the medical providers will not be able to discuss your student's treatment with you as per HIPAA regulations. Please discuss this issue with your student.

  • Emergency Medical Situations


    What happens if my student experiences a medical emergency during the day?
    During the hours of operation of Student Health Services, students, if mobile, should visit Student Health Services. If anyhow possible, they should call first: 516-463-6745.

    What happens if my student experiences a medical emergency after business hours?
    Students should call Public Safety 516-463-6606 and report the nature of the emergency. If they need immediate assistance, they can call the emergency line at 463-6789. All Public Safety Officers are certified first responders. They will make the determination if a student needs to be seen emergently. If necessary, the officers will request that an ambulance respond. The medical personnel makes the determination if the student needs to be transported to a hospital.

    Can my student be forced to go to the emergency room (ER)?
    Once an ambulance is called, the medical personnel will make appropriate medical determinations. Please know that the health, safety and wellness of your student are of the utmost importance for all health care providers. (Note that the University is not responsible for the ambulance transportation costs.)

    Will anyone accompany my student to the emergency room (ER)?
    Your student will go to the ER in the ambulance alone. However, if your student is a resident student, Public Safety notifies Hofstra's director on duty that a student had been transported to the ER. The director on duty then visits the hospital and acts as an advocate for your student. The director on duty stays with the student until he or she is admitted, discharged, or until a family member arrives. Please note that the hospital staff determines whether or not the director on duty can meet with the student. In addition, the student is expected to cooperate with the director on duty.

    To which hospital will my student be transported?
    Nassau County emergency response protocols determine what hospital your student will be taken to, and in most cases they are required to transport to the nearest hospital, which is the Nassau University Medical Center (NUMC), two miles east on Hempstead Turnpike. The NUMC is a very well regarded Level 1 trauma center. Occasionally, the ambulance transports to Winthrop University Hospital or the Mercy Medical Center. Hofstra's Public Safety typically has information to which hospital a student was transported and, again, Public Safety can be reached at– 516-463-6606.

    Does Hofstra notify families if their students are transported to hospital?
    Our staff strongly advises students, if conscious, to call their parents prior to any transport. Please have a conversation with your student and ask that they do. Typically, the hospital staff notifies families in serious situations. In addition, the University reserves the right to notify families when students are transported to the hospital or hospitalized, especially when there is concern for the welfare of a student, including serious or repeated encounters with alcohol or other drugs, or when a student presents harm to self and/or others.

    Can my student get a copy of the hospital or emergency room records?
    Certainly. Please ask your student to request from the hospital and send you copies of the medical records. Hospitals may charge minimal costs for the records.

    What should my student do after the emergency room visit?
    Your student should follow medical personnel's advice about the care after the discharge. Also, they are advised to visit Student Health Services for a follow-up visit.

    Where can my student find information about the flu vaccination, Ebola Virus Disease, how to make an appointment with Student Health Services, and read health tips?
    For helpful and timely health information, please encourage your student to consult hofstra.edu/wellness.

  • Medical Insurance


    Is my student required to purchase insurance through Hofstra?
    Students who are U.S. citizens, permanent residents, or have a non-student immigration status are not required to but may purchase insurance through Hofstra. F-1 and J-1 international students are automatically enrolled and billed for their international health insurance plan to their Hofstra accounts. The insurer is Arthur J. Gallagher and Co.

    Does my student need a medical insurance card to visit Student Health Services?
    No. Matriculated students have free access to the services of the Student Health Services. Students should have their Hofstra ID cards with them when visiting Student Health Services.

    When will my student need a medical insurance card?
    Please make sure that your student has the medical insurance card when coming to campus. The students need the insurance card for visits to an outside health provider or the emergency room, and when laboratory tests are ordered. If you have separate prescription insurance, your student will also need that card to fill prescriptions.

    What does my international student’s medical insurance cover?
    Please know that the U.S. medical system might be different than the one in your country. Please visit Arthur J. Gallagher and Co. and carefully read about the coverage.

    May I purchase tuition insurance for my student?
    Yes. We encourage you to purchase the reasonably priced Tuition Refund Plan to protect your significant investment in your child's education. This plan may help minimize your potential loss if your student needs to withdraw from classes and leave school during the semester due to illness or accident. Note that the plan must be purchased before the first day of classes each semester. Please visit Tuition Refund Plan page for more information.

  • Psychological Counseling


    What kind of counseling does the Office of Student Counseling Services provide? 
    A student may participate in counseling to discuss emotional difficulties or personal concerns related directly to academic or other matters. The collaborative counseling process is used to clarify problems, establish realistic goals, and develop active, short-term treatment solutions. If a student needs long-term counseling, the Student Counseling Services staff will provide consultation to help students find appropriate off campus referral options. For more information, please visit Parent Guide to Counseling Services.

    My student has participated in psychological counseling prior to coming to Hofstra. How can this continue?
    Your child may continue with personal counseling at Hofstra University as well as attend group counseling. In some cases, students require longer-term or specialized therapy.  In these cases, the office of Student Counseling Services will provide referrals to providers located in the community. The first three consultations at Hofstra’s Student Counseling Services are free; $30 for each visit thereafter. Please note that the counseling services are provided on a short-term basis. The group counseling is available free of charge.

    What should my student do in case of a psychological emergency?
    In the event of on-campus psychological emergencies, a staff member from the Office of Student Counseling Services can respond to a student in distress. During the day, please ask your student to call Student Counseling Services at 516-463-6791 or, in an emergency, Public Safety at 516-463-6789. In the evening when the office is closed, a counselor may be contacted by calling campus Public Safety at 516-463-6606.  More information about the hours and location is found at hofstra.edu/studentcounseling.

    Can a parent advise Student Counseling staff about the student’s medical history?
    Yes, parents should feel free to provide critical information concerning their child’s health history when they believe it is essential to intervention, and when the child is unable or unwilling to provide the information. Professional practice standards and confidentiality policies, however, may not permit the counselor receiving information to disclose information about the student, including whether or not the student is engaged in counseling. In most cases, it is preferred that the students convey essential treatment information to the counselor. 

    Can a parent know if a student participates in counseling?
    No; the identity of those using counseling services along with the personal disclosures revealed in the counseling relationship are regarded as confidential. This information is shared only with the expressed written consent from the client for each visit, or when law, regulations or emergency circumstances permit it.

    My student takes psychotropic medicine. What should s/he do?
    Be sure that your son or daughter has ample medication to reach his or her next prescription cycle or meeting with the medical doctor. In many cases it is advised that local medical providers be identified to assist with psychiatric prescription medication and treatment monitoring. Please advise your student not to share his/her medication with anyone and to store it in a safe place.

Parent Services


View student's account statement and make payments online.


Add cash to your student's Dutch Debits account online!

Students can access these services through the Student Services menu within the portal.