What is the Yellow Ribbon Program?
The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program) is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. This program allows institutions of higher learning (degree granting institutions) in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition rate. The institution can contribute up to 50% of those expenses and VA will match the same amount as the institution.
Who is Eligible?
Only individuals entitled to the maximum benefit rate (based on service requirements) may receive this funding. Therefore, you may be eligible if:
- You served an aggregate period of active duty after September 10, 2001, of at least 36 months;
- You were honorably discharged from active duty for a service connected disability and you served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001;
- You are a dependent eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill® based on a veteran's service under the eligibility criteria listed above.
How Do I Apply for Benefits under Post-9/11 GI Bill®?
The Department of Veterans Affairs is now accepting and processing applications for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®. You should complete and submit the application form available online and will receive written notification explaining VA's decision regarding your eligibility for the program. If you are eligible, your Certificate of Eligibility will also advise you if your service meets the requirements for the Yellow Ribbon Program. You should take your Certificate of Eligibility to Hofstra and ask us to certify your enrollment to VA, including Yellow Ribbon. You cannot certify your participation in the Yellow Ribbon Program directly to the VA. Hofstra must report this information on your enrollment certification.
Remember, to receive benefits under the Yellow Ribbon Program:
- You must be eligible for the maximum benefit rate under the Post-9/11 GI Bill®;
- Hofstra must have not offered Yellow Ribbon to more than the maximum number of individuals stated in the participation agreement;
- Hofstra must certify your enrollment to VA, including Yellow Ribbon program information.