Pre-Freshman Summer Academy
New NOAH Students participate in a mandatory free five-week Pre-Freshman Summer Academy before their first fall semester at Hofstra. Students reside on campus as part of a learning community that provides them with the opportunity to address individual academic needs and earn up to (six) 6 university credits, giving them an advantageous opportunity to adjust to the academic rigors of college-level coursework, strengthen learning skills, develop relationships with faculty and enhance their knowledge of competencies and strategies that will promote academic excellence.
In addition, students participate in educational enrichment opportunities, such as alumni career panels, leadership development and multicultural educational programs during the Summer Academy that help prepare them for leadership at Hofstra and in their communities.
Overall, new NOAH Scholars acquire a major educational advantage in that they:
- Embark on the academic career knowing how to adjust to rigorous college coursework.
- Earn college credits that will save educational costs and can accelerate the completion of their degree.
- Receive academic support in academic areas to help them excel at Hofstra.
- Become familiar with where the resources and support networks are at Hofstra University.
- Become a member of a community of scholars that will enhance their educational experience at Hofstra.
- Cultivate critical thinking, complex reasoning and writing skills, preparing them for future academic excellence.