INSTRUCTIONS FOR COMPLETING AN INTERNSHIP IN THE DEPARTMENT OF GLOBAL STUDIES AND GEOGRAPHY (GEOG 190 and GS 190)
Approval Process and registration:
- Admission to the internship program will be by application only.
- Set a meeting with the Chair of the Department.
- At least one week prior to the meeting you should email a proposal to the Chair about what you are planning on doing in the internship and how the internship fits in with wider issues relevant to our Department.
- In your email, you can also request a particular faculty member as a supervisor. To expedite the process, if you had someone in mind as a supervisor, it will be BEST if you also have discussed this with them prior to the meeting with the Chair.
- The Chair will then discuss/confirm the willingness of the faculty member to perform this role.
- At the meeting with the Chair you will be officially allocated your supervisor and you will complete the “Internship Approval Form.”
- This form MUST be signed by the allocated supervisor, Chair and the student.
- Once you have all the signatures, you need to bring the "Internship Approval Form" to the Department Secretary, who will fill-out the paperwork to create the course.
- You will then register for the course once the course appears online (this normally takes about two weeks after you have provided us with the approval form).
- You MUST register for the course no later than two weeks from the beginning of a semester. It is thus best to set up the internship prior to the beginning of a given semester.
- Students will be expected to work on-site for 6 hours per week (for a 3 sh internship).
- Have your onsite supervisor send us the “Internship Sponsorship Form.”We need to receive this form no later than one month after the beginning of a semester (two weeks during summer).
- Send in a weekly report to your supervisor of around one page about what work you have done each week as part of the internship (by agreement with the supervisor, this can be replaced by your Blog entries).
- For Guidance about what is expected see “Samples of Work Required .”
- Maintain a blog about the internship that is updated weekly. Directions for setting up the Blog: Use http://www.blogger.com/tour_start.g. This site is linked to Google, so if you have a Gmail account you won't need to open up a new account. After you log in, there's a step-by-step process which will ask you to create a name, choose a layout, etc. It's very user-friendly and quick; no extensive HTML knowledge necessary. Help can be provided on how to do this. Please look here for an example of a recent blog.
- Write a short report at the end of the internship, which summarizes your internship experience and whether you recommend other students doing the same internship.
- Have the onsite internship supervisor complete the “Internship Evaluation Form.”
- Write an essay of around 12 pages that incorporates you internship experience and the goals of your organization (where you did the internship) into a broader issue that is relevant to our Department. The exact requirements of this paper need to be discussed with your Department supervisor. Please make sure to do this when you register for the course.
- All academic work for the internship must be completed within the semester that you register.
To provide guidance we have attached the work of a recent student. Please look at this and use it as a guide for what is expected of you.