MU KAPPA – Goals, Information and Eligibility
Initiated in the spring of 2012 by professor Kari Jensen, Mu Kappa is the Hofstra chapter of Gamma Theta Upsilon (GTU), which is an international honor society in geography. Gamma Theta Upsilon was founded in 1928 and became a national organization in 1931. Members of GTU have met academic requirements and share a background and interest in geography. GTU chapter activities support geography knowledge and awareness.
GTU's Goals are:
- To further professional interest in Geography by affording a common organization for those interested in the field.
- To strengthen student and professional training through academic experiences in addition to those of the classroom and laboratory.
- To advance the status of Geography as a cultural and practical discipline for study and investigation.
- To encourage student research of high quality, and to promote an outlet for publication.
- To create and administer funds for furthering graduate study and/or research in the field of Geography.
- To encourage members to apply geographic knowledge and skills in service to humankind.
For more information see: www.gammathetaupsilon.org
WHY YOU SHOULD JOIN GTU
Gamma Theta Upsilon membership is earned through superior scholarship; it is an honor, and a professional distinction.
Members receive a handsome certificate, suitable for framing.
No further membership dues are paid to the national organization after the initiation fee. Members are eligible to apply for Gamma Theta Upsilon scholarships.
Membership in an academic honor society is evidence of your dedication and competency in your career field. Some employers give hiring preference to honor society members.
For more information, please visit www.gammathetaupsilon.org/membership.
ELIGIBILITY FOR MEMBERSHIP
Regular Member: Initiates must have completed a minimum of 3 geography courses, have a GPA of at least 3.3 overall and in geography, and shall have completed at least 3 semesters or 5 quarters of college course work.
Honorary Member: A chapter may extend honorary membership to anyone whom it feels has, by exploration, research, lecturing, publishing, teaching, or any other way contributed to marked advancement in any phase of Geography. The fees for Honorary membership are paid by the local chapter.
For more information see: www.gammathetaupsilon.org/eligibility
For more information about joining our Chapter, please contact:
Dr. Kari B Jensen, President of Mu Kappa.