If you are having any difficulty using this website, please contact the Help Desk at Help@nullHofstra.edu or 516-463-7777 or Student Access Services at SAS@nullhofstra.edu or 516-463-7075. Please identify the webpage address or URL and the specific problems you have encountered and we will address the issue.

Skip to Main Content

Certified Health Ed Specialist

In addition to certifying Health Education students to teach in the K-12 classroom setting, the M.S. also prepares students to become Certified Health Education Specialists.

Health Educators can work in a variety of settings including:

  • Federal, state or local health agencies
  • Corporate wellness settings
  • Community health clinics and outreach education programs
  • Advocacy agencies and private health organizations.
  • K-12 classrooms in public and private schools.

Additional Information (according to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics):

  • 5 out of 10 health educators work in health care and social assistance and an additional 2 out of 10 work in State and local government.
  • A bachelor's degree is the minimum requirement for entry level jobs, but many employers prefer to hire workers with a master's degree. Hofstra prepares its students to qualify to sit for the Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) Exam, which grants licensure to qualified practitioners and assures employers that services are provided by professionals who have met national standards. Over the last several years, more employers indicate “CHES preferred” on health educator/health promotion positions.