If you are having any difficulty using this website, please contact the Help Desk at Help@nullHofstra.edu or 516-463-7777 or Student Access Services at SAS@nullhofstra.edu or 516-463-7075. Please identify the webpage address or URL and the specific problems you have encountered and we will address the issue.

Skip to Main Content


Frequently Asked Questions: International Students


How can I apply to Hofstra University?

Please see “How to Apply” webpage.

What is the minimum TOEFL score for admission?

Our Admission Committee looks for students who have achieved an internet-based-TOEFL (IBT) score of 80 or higher , paper-based TOEFL score of 550 or higher or computerized TOEFL score of 213 or higher. Others with strong academic credentials are certainly encouraged to apply. For more information, please visit www.ets.org/toefl/

Does Hofstra accept the IELTS?
Yes. The minimum score for consideration is 6.5. To be accepted, the test scores cannot be more than 2 years old.
Can I send my supporting documents (transcript, TOEFL score, essay) to you electronically?

Yes. Emailing or faxing documents can be faster and more reliable than sending them by mail. Documents can be faxed to 516-463-5100 (please write “attention International Admissions” on faxes) or emailed to International Admission. Please note that to be considered official, transcripts or test scores should be sent by a counselor, advisor, administrator or other staff member at your school. We cannot accept test scores copied from an internet score report.

My school uses the program Naviance for college applications. Can I submit documents in this way?

Yes. However, please note that Naviance only matches up with our system if you have applied using the Common Application. If you apply by any other means, your documents and scores will not be received by Hofstra.

Is the TOEFL or IELTS or SAT or ACT required for admission?

The English language requirement may be waived if you meet one of the following conditions:

  • Advanced Placement (AP) Examination Equivalents: Language & Composition exam or Literature & Composition exam with 4 or better; or
  •  Applicants primarily educated in the following countries/territories; or
    • African (Anglophone): Botswana, Cameroon, Gambia, Ghana, Kenya,  Malawi, Namibia, Nigeria,  South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
    • Australia
    • Commonwealth Caribbean (Anglophone): Antigua, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Cayman Islands, Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago
    • Canada, except Quebec (French)
    • Irish Republic
    • New Zealand
    • United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales)
  • Attended a US High School for 4 years or more; or
  • Attended an accredited U.S. college or university or accredited college or university with English as medium of instruction in the last 2 years; or
  • Attended entirety of high school at an international High School where English is the medium of instruction; or
  • Completion of ELS 112; or
  • Earned college credits (including 3 credits in English Composition with a grade of B or higher) at an accredited U.S. college or university; or
  • Gaokao (Chinese National Higher Education Entrance Examination) English with 120 or higher with skype interview; or
  • IB English A Language and Literature (HL) or English A Language (HL) with a score of 5 or higher
  • IELTS 6.5 or higher; or
  • IGCSE/GCE O or A Level in English language with a grade of C or better; or
  • Malaysia SPM English 119 with C or better; or
  • SAT or ACT. Please note in order to be considered for merit-based scholarships, SAT or ACT shall be submitted; or
  • The Pearson Test of English Academic (PTEA) score of 53 or higher;
  • TOEFL, internet-based-TOEFL (IBT) score of 80 or higher;

In response to COVID-19, we are accepting the following exams and proof of English proficiency for spring 2021 and fall 2021 applicants who are unable to meet one of the above requirements:

  • TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition
  • IELTS Indicator
  • Duolingo score of 120 or higher
Do you accept students with lower SAT, ACT, TOEFL or IELTS scores?

Students who meet Hofstra University’s admission requirements but have not demonstrated English language proficiency will be invited to enroll in INTO Hofstra Pathway Program.

I have permanent residency in the US. Should I apply as an international student?

No. Any US permanent resident will be considered for admission through the same process as a US citizen. You do not need to submit a TOEFL or IELTS score, but may wish to do so if your SAT or ACT score (required for permanent residents) is slightly low.

Do you accept requests to waive the application fee?

Yes. However, these requests must be submitted by your counselor, advisor, administrator, teacher or some other staff member at your school. Such requests cannot be accepted from students or their families.

How can I track the status of my application?

All applicants to Hofstra receive access to our Student Portal at my.hofstra.edu. You will receive communication with your username and password for this account. Should you need a username or password reminder, please email International Admission

How will Hofstra award credit for the classes I have already taken at the college level?

All transfer students admitted to Hofstra receive a Statement of Transfer Credit upon receipt of the final, official transcript from your previous institution. Preliminary credit evaluations can be provided to illustrate how your credits will transfer to Hofstra. Students in secondary school who have taken collegiate-level courses will also receive a Statement of Transfer Credit and will meet with an advisor at Orientation to answer any questions about this.

Does Hofstra award credit for A-Levels, Abitur, the IB Diploma, AP credits, etc?

Yes. Advanced standing and collegiate-level credits may be awarded based on students’ performance on these exams and certain other upper-secondary school certificates. Students should send score reports to the Office of Admission for evaluation. An official evaluation of a student’s secondary record is often helpful in this process and can be provided by organizations such as www.WES.org or SpanTran or Foreign Credential Service of America or Scholaro.

When will you notify me if I am admitted?

Admission decisions for students who apply for Early Action I will be available on the Hofstra portal around December 15. Early Action II decisions will be available on the Hofstra portal around January 15. Rolling admission applicants will receive their decision via the Hofstra portal within approximately two weeks of receiving all required application materials.Students will receive their physical admission letter in the mail once all financial documents are received.

Is my Enrollment-Orientation deposit refundable?

These deposits are nonrefundable after May 1 for fall admission and January 1 for spring admission.


What financial aid might international students be eligible for?

International students are considered for academic merit-based scholarships only. Please note that an SAT or ACT score must be received for scholarship consideration.

How do I apply for a scholarship?

All students are automatically considered for academic merit scholarships, which are based primarily on your secondary school record and SAT or ACT exam score. The TOEFL does not factor into our scholarship decisions.

When will you notify me if I have received a scholarship?

Scholarship decisions are included in official acceptance packets. This information is  also available for your review on your Student Portal.

Does Hofstra offer need-based financial aid to students?

At this time, only academic merit-based scholarships are available. These scholarships can be very generous. There are also many other scholarship opportunities through various international foundations and companies.  Our counselors are here to assist you in this process.

Can I submit the FAFSA?

International students cannot fill out the FAFSA. This form is only appropriate for US citizens and Permanent Residents.

Do you accept or require the CSS Profile?

No. This is not required. Hofstra requires a Financial Verification Form.

What financial documentation is required to obtain my Form I-20?
  • Financial bank statement (the most recent 3 months in liquid funds, CANNOT be an investment account or letter stating income). Must show tuition/fees/accommodation amount minus any scholarship you received (scholarship would be listed on the conditional acceptance letter upon admission). Statement must be in English.
  • Copy of passport - Passport cannot expire for at least one year.
  • Financial Verification Form (I-20 Application) - Only handwritten signatures or official digital signatures can be accepted.
  • Affidavit of Support Form (if your financial documents include an account that is not in the student’s name) - Must show tuition/fees/accommodation amount minus any scholarship you received. Only handwritten signatures or official digital signatures can be accepted.

If you are currently in the USA, we also need your:

  • Copy of US visa.
  • F-1 Transfer Form filled out by your current school.
  • Copy of your previous I-20 Form.
What is an I-20?

After you are admitted to Hofstra University and the appropriate financial documentation has been received and processed, you will be sent the Form I-20. When you receive this form, you should schedule an interview with a US immigration official in your home country (usually at a US Consulate or Embassy.) They will determine if you are eligible for an F-1 student visa, which they would then issue to you. You must pay your SEVIS fee before this appointment and bring several documents with you (including your TOEFL or IELTS score and bank letter, etc.) Our counselors are available to guide you through this process. For more information, please visit our Admission webpage.

I have a tourist visa to the US. Is that good enough?

No. To study in the US you must be a full-time, matriculated, degree-seeking student and possess an F-1 student visa.

I have a different type of visa / I am the dependant of a US visa holder

There are some circumstances in which you may not need an F-1 visa. Please contact our office for more information.

I attend boarding school in the US and I currently hold an F-1 visa. Do I need a new one?

Your F-1 visa will expire when you graduate from your secondary school (high school.) Please submit the required financial documentation to Hofstra. We will then transfer your student visa to Hofstra. Please note that your new I-20 cannot be issued until you graduate from your secondary school. A Transfer Form is required.

I attend a college/university in the US and will be transferring to Hofstra. Do I need a new I-20?

Yes. A “Transfer Release” form must be sent to a Designated School Official at your institution, signed, and sent back to us via fax or email. We will process this upon admission to Hofstra and issue a Hofstra I-20.

Who should I contact regarding admission to a graduate program?

If you are interested in applying to an academic program at the graduate (masters or doctoral) level, please visit https://www.hofstra.edu/Academics/grad/

I live in the US, but I do not hold any kind of visa. What do I need to submit?

A visa is required for entering and exiting the US. If you already live in the US, we will not require you to apply for a visa. Please check with our office for more information.


How do I apply as a transfer student?

Hofstra has a separate application for transfer students, located on our website. You may also choose to fill out the Common Application.

What documents are required, as part of my application?

International transfer students should submit transcripts from all previously attended institutions. If you have earned less than the equivalent of 24 college-level credits (if you have attended college or university for less than one year) you may be asked to also submit your secondary school record. If your first language is not English, you must also submit a TOEFL or IELTS score. This requirement can be waived if you are attended a college or university in the US, have taken English Composition or Writing 1 and 2 and earned a C or better as a grade. Please remember that all transcripts must be in English.

How will my credits transfer into Hofstra?

You will receive a Statement of Transfer Credit after admission to Hofstra.

How do I transfer my SEVIS Record?

Upon admission, you will be sent a “Transfer Release Form” which must be filled out and signed by a Designated School Official at your current college or university. This is the individual who would have originally issued your I-20. They must also release your record to Hofstra in the SEVIS system. This form must then be faxed or emailed to the Office of Admission here.

Are international transfer students considered for scholarships?

Yes. All international students are considered for academic, merit based scholarships. This will be based on your previous college or university-level work.

What is your contact information?

Students are encouraged to stay in contact with our counselors. We are here to answer any questions or concerns that you have.
By phone- 516-463-6700
By fax- 516-463-5100
By email

Applications, supporting documents and any other mail should be sent to:
Office of Undergraduate Admission
Attn: International Admission
100 Hofstra University
Hempstead, NY 11549-1000 USA