How to Apply
The application process is two steps – first submitting the required academic materials for admission, then submitting financial materials to receive Form I-20 for student visa purposes. Once you have submitted the necessary materials in Step 1, your application will be reviewed.
If you are offered "Conditional Acceptance," this means that you have been admitted to the University, but we are awaiting the financial documents in Step 2 to issue your I-20. Your merit scholarship will automatically be awarded on this letter if you have qualified (you do not need to apply for scholarship).
- Online application form: either the Common Application or our Hofstra Online Application. We accept either, but please only choose one.
- Secondary school transcript: Your complete 9, 10, and 11th grade transcript and official translation in English, or any national exam or government certificates earned. Review country-specific requirements to see details for the country you’re studying in.
- Proof of English proficiency. Review acceptable proof of proficiency.
- One counselor letter of recommendation
- Nonrefundable application fee ($75 )
To receive a Form I-20 for your student visa, you will be required to submit the documents below proving you have the financial means to support yourself for a full calendar year, including tuition, fees, and living expenses.
Please be aware, this is the estimated cost of just one year. This is the amount required for I-20 issuance, but you will have to pay these fees for the duration of your studies year over year.
- I-20 Application Form
- Financial evidence, usually bank statement(s) or certificate(s) of deposit, equivalent to the cost of one academic year of tuition and living expenses, minus any merit scholarship award (per year). Must be in liquid, immediately available funds.
- Copy of valid passport
- Affidavit of Support Form (if the financial documents include an account that is not in the student’s name) Please fill in the US dollar equivalent that the sponsor promises to provide
- Dependent Information Form (if any dependents, ie. children, spouse, will accompany you to the USA)
- Sponsor's Promise of Free Food and Housing (if a family member of sponsor will be providing you with free off-campus accommodations for the duration of your education program. Sponsor will have to provide a lease, deed, rent receipt or other documentation that proves residency or ownership of the property)
If you are already in the US on an F-1 student visa, you must also submit:
- Copy of your current I-20
- Copy of US F-1 visa
- F1 transfer form signed by your current school