How to Apply
The application process is two steps – first submitting the required academic materials for admission, then submitting financial materials to receive Form I-20 for student visa purposes. Once you have submitted all of the necessary materials in Step 1, your application will be reviewed.
If you are offered "Conditional Acceptance," this means that you have been admitted to the University, but we are awaiting the financial documents in Step 2 in order to issue your I-20. Your merit scholarship will automatically be awarded on this letter if you have qualified.
International student application process information:
Acceptable Forms of Financial Evidence
Step 1: Submit application and fee
- Online application form: either the Common Application or our Hofstra Online Application. We accept either, but please only choose one.
- One counselor letter of recommendation
- Secondary school transcript: Your complete 9-, 10-, and 11th-grade transcript and official translation in English, or any national exam or government certificates earned. Review country-specific requirements to see details for the country you’re studying in.
- Proof of English proficiency. Review acceptable proof of proficiency.
- Nonrefundable application fee ($75)
Step 2: Submit financial documents for I-20
To receive an I-20 for your student visa, you will be required to submit the documents below proving you have the financial means to support yourself for a full calendar year, including tuition, fees, and living expenses.
Your financial documents are not related to your admission decision. However, Hofstra cannot issue you an immigration document until you have provided sufficient evidence of financial support.
You are welcome to submit these documents prior to “conditional acceptance” to expedite the process, but please be aware that you won’t know your potential merit scholarship until you receive your decision.
Submit the following to your portal at http://my.hofstra.edu or attach in an e-mail to email@example.com with your Name and Student ID number:
- Financial evidence, usually bank statement(s) or certificate(s) of deposit, equivalent to the cost of one academic year of tuition and living expenses, minus any merit scholarship award (per year)
- Copy of valid passport
- I-20 Application Form
- Affidavit of Support Form (if the financial documents include an account that is not in the student’s name) Please fill in the U.S. dollar equivalent that the sponsor promises to provide.
- Dependent Information Form (if any dependents, ie., children, spouse, will accompany you to the U.S.)
- Sponsor's Promise of Free Room and Board Form (if a family member or sponsor will be providing you with free off-campus accommodations for the duration of your education program)
If you are already in the U.S. on an F-1 student visa, you must also submit:
- Copy of your current I-20
- Copy of U.S. F-1 visa
- F1 transfer form signed by your current school
For more information regarding the student visa application process, please visit ISA Immigration Resources.