How to Apply

The application process is two steps – first submitting the required academic materials for admission, then submitting financial materials to receive Form I-20 for student visa purposes. Once you have submitted all of the necessary materials in Step 1, your application will be reviewed.

If you are offered "Conditional Acceptance," this means that you have been admitted to the University, but we are awaiting the financial documents in Step 2 in order to issue your I-20. Your merit scholarship will automatically be awarded on this letter if you have qualified.

International student application process information:

Acceptable Forms of Financial Evidence

Scholarship Opportunities

Estimated Cost of One Year of Study and Living Expenses

  • Online application form: either the Common Application or our Hofstra Online Application. We accept either, but please only choose one.
  • One counselor letter of recommendation
  • Secondary school transcript: Your complete 9-, 10-, and 11th-grade transcript and official translation in English, or any national exam or government certificates earned. Review country-specific requirements to see details for the country you’re studying in.
  • Proof of English proficiency. Review acceptable proof of proficiency.
  • Nonrefundable application fee ($75)

To receive an I-20 for your student visa, you will be required to submit the documents below proving you have the financial means to support yourself for a full calendar year, including tuition, fees, and living expenses.

Your financial documents are not related to your admission decision. However, Hofstra cannot issue you an immigration document until you have provided sufficient evidence of financial support.

You are welcome to submit these documents prior to “conditional acceptance” to expedite the process, but please be aware that you won’t know your potential merit scholarship until you receive your decision.

Submit the following to your portal at or attach in an e-mail to with your Name and Student ID number:

If applicable:

If you are already in the U.S. on an F-1 student visa, you must also submit:

For more information regarding the student visa application process, please visit ISA Immigration Resources.