Orientation & New Student Programs
Welcome Week 2022
Thursday, September 1 – Monday September 5, 2022
Hofstra University's Welcome Week is a week-long schedule of events that is designed to introduce you to the Hofstra campus, the rigor of academic life, our rich culture and traditions, on-campus resources, and the exciting diversity of Hofstra and the community around us. You will have the opportunity to participate in academic, social, athletic and community events. We have planned an exciting week filled with programs and activities that will help you get better acquainted with Hofstra's campus and become an engaged and involved student.
You and thousands of other students who call Hofstra their home can now gain access to campus resources, over 200 student clubs and organizations, and the many social, cultural and career opportunities of the New York metropolitan area.
All students living on campus in residence halls should check their Hofstra email regarding the specific dates and time of move-in.
Commuter students will also receive updates through their Hofstra email about the programs during Welcome Week.
Technology Used for Welcome Week
All programming during Welcome Week is expected in be in-person. If there is virtual programming during Welcome Week, we will use Zoom. Please make sure you are familiar with using the version of Zoom that authenticates with your Hofstra account. Here is a quick how to tutorial on using Zoom correctly with your Hofstra log in information.
- When is Welcome Week?
Welcome Week September 1 -5, 2022. The full schedule is available on an app called “Guidebook” on the iOS app store and on Google Play. Download the app, then search for “Hofstra University”
- Do I need to register for Welcome Week?
There is no need to register for Welcome Week. All new first-year and transfer undergraduates are expected to attend the program.
- Where do I go for Welcome Week?
We will have updated information in early August about where to check in for Welcome Week.
- Is Welcome Week Mandatory?
Welcome Week is the second phase of New Student Orientation. The program is designed to help you transition into college life at Hofstra and welcome you to the Pride! For these reasons, it is required for all new students to attend Welcome Week.
- What if I'm a commuting student?
All new students attend welcome week! Commuting students should refer to their Hofstra email in early August regarding information and updates about Welcome Week. Note that commuter students do not stay overnight for the five-day program.
- I'm a residential student, when do I move into my room?
Residential students will move into their on campus housing per the instructions sent from the office of residence life. Please refer to your Hofstra email as that is the way updates will be communicated.
- Should transfer students attend Welcome Week?
Our program is designed to engage all new students including our transfer students! We also have programs within our schedule that cater specifically to our transfer student population. Welcome Week is the prime opportunity for all students to make connections with fellow students, faculty, and staff.
- Do I have to pay to attend Welcome Week?
Your orientation fee covers new student orientation and welcome week.
- Is there a version of the Welcome Week Schedule that I can print out?
Please note that the GuideBook app will contain the most up-to-date information and change about Welcome Week. Guidebook app is in the iOS app store and on Google Play.
- How do I sign up for an Explore Next Door Trip and mandatory programs that take place during Welcome Week?
Explore Next Door (END) trips are a great way to experience New York City with a Hofstra staff member and student leader. Our trips include activities like food tours, professional sporting events, and museum tours!
END Trip registration and the mandatory programming events begins on Thursday , September 1, 2022, at 12:00 p.m. and closes at 5:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. Our END trips have a limited number of spaces and will be filled on a first come, first serve basis. Please note there will be other opportunities to sign up for END trips throughout the semester. You will be able access the signup page through the Hofstra portal at my.hofstra.edu on Thursday, September 1, 2022, at 12 pm EST.
To see a list of END trips and the directions on how to sign up, check out the Guidebook app. Note that the sign-ups will take place on the Hofstra portal at my.hofstra.edu.
Instructions for Signing up for Mandatory Programming and END Trips
(Please follow the instructions below to sign up on a computer)
- Log in to my.hofstra.edu (Hofstra Portal)
- Click My Apps (waffle icon) in the top right corner
- Select "Welcome Week"
- Check off one time for each of the 3 mandatory events that you will attend
- If available and you are interested, check off the END trip that you would like to attend
- Enter your email and phone number at the bottom
- Click Register
- Review and confirm your selections, then hit finalize selections
- Look for a confirmation email in your Hofstra email inbox
- Is there a program for my parents and family members?
- Yes. Parents and families are welcome to attend the in-person program on Thursday, September 1. They will need to say goodbye to you after President’s Welcome. Please ask your family to visit hofstra.edu/welcomeday for more information.
If your question isn't answered here, please email OSLE@Hofstra.edu