Orientation & New Student Programs
Welcome Week 2024
Thursday, August 29 -Monday, September 2, 2024
Hofstra University's Welcome Week is a weeklong schedule of events that is designed to introduce you to the Hofstra campus, the rigor of academic life, our rich culture and traditions, on-campus resources, and the exciting diversity of Hofstra and the community around us. You will have the opportunity to participate in academic, social, athletic, and community events. We have planned an exciting week filled with programs and activities that will help you get better acquainted with Hofstra's campus and become an engaged and involved student.
You and thousands of other students who call Hofstra their home can now gain access to campus resources, over 200 student clubs and organizations, and the many social, cultural, and career opportunities of the New York metropolitan area.
When you arrive on campus on Thursday, August 29, 2024, please head to the Intramural Fields located on the north side of campus for check-in. Directional signs and Welcome Week leaders will point you in the right direction. At check-in, you will receive your Hofstra ID card, giveaways, and other important information regarding the Welcome Week program.
Residential students should check their Hofstra email address for check-in information. For questions, email email@example.com.
Commuting students check in from noon to 1 p.m. on the Intramural Fields.
- When is Welcome Week?
Welcome Week is August 29 - September 2, 2024. The full schedule is available on an app called “Guidebook,” available on the iOS app store and on Google Play. Download the app, then search for “Hofstra University.” The guide will be available online as of August 15, 2024.
- Do I need to register for Welcome Week?
There is no need to register for Welcome Week. All new first-year and transfer undergraduates are expected to attend the program.
- Where do I go for Welcome Week?
All new undergraduates (domestic, international, commuter, and residential) should head to the tents on the Intramural Fields (there will be directional signs on campus), where they will check in for the program. Note that residential students will receive information regarding their arrival time window from the Office of Residence Life. Commuting students should plan on checking in at the tents at noon on Thursday, August 29, 2024.
- Is Welcome Week mandatory?
Welcome Week is the second phase of New Student Orientation. The program is designed to help you transition into college life at Hofstra and welcome you to the Pride! For these reasons, it is required for all new students to attend Welcome Week.
- What if I'm a commuting student?
All new students attend Welcome Week! Commuting students should refer to their Hofstra email in early August regarding information and updates about Welcome Week. Note that commuting students do not stay overnight for the five-day program.
- I'm a residential student. When do I move into my room?
Residential students will move into their on-campus housing per the instructions sent from the Office of Residence Life on Thursday, August 29, 2024. Please check your Hofstra email, as that is the way updates will be communicated.
- Should transfer students attend Welcome Week?
Our program is designed to engage all new students, including our transfer students! We also have programs within our schedule that cater specifically to our transfer student population. Welcome Week is the prime opportunity for all students to make connections with fellow students, faculty, and staff.
- Do I have to pay to attend Welcome Week?
Your orientation fee covers New Student Orientation and Welcome Week.
- Is there a version of the Welcome Week Schedule that I can print out?
Please note that the Guidebook app will contain the most up-to-date information about Welcome Week. The Guidebook app is available in the iOS app store and on Google Play.
- How do I sign up for an Explore Next Door Trip and mandatory programs that take place during Welcome Week?
Explore Next Door trips are a great way to experience New York City with a Hofstra staff member and student leader. Our trips include activities like food tours, professional sporting events, and museum tours!
Registration for Explore Next Door trips and the mandatory programming events begins on Thursday, August 29, 2024, at 1:30 p.m. and closes at 5 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. Our Explore Next Door trips have a limited number of spaces and will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis. Please note there will be other opportunities to sign up for Explore Next Door trips throughout the semester.
You will be able access the registration page through the Hofstra portal at my.hofstra.edu on Thursday, August 29, 2024, at 1:30 p.m. EST.
To see a list of these trips and directions on how to register, check out the Guidebook app. Note that registration will take place through the Hofstra portal at my.hofstra.edu.
Instructions for Registering for Mandatory Programming and Explore Next Door Trips:
- Log in to the Hofstra portal at my.hofstra.edu
- Click My Apps (waffle icon) in the top right corner
- Select "Welcome Week"
- Check off one time for each of the 2 mandatory events that you will attend
- If available and you are interested, check off the Explore Next Door trip that you would like to attend
- Enter your email and phone number at the bottom
- Click Register
- Review and confirm your selections, then hit Finalize Selections
- Look for a confirmation email in your Hofstra email inbox
- Is there a program for my parents and family members?
- Yes. Parents and families are welcome to attend a brief in-person program on Thursday, August 29. They will need to say goodbye to you before the President's Welcome that takes place at 3:30 p.m.. Please ask your family to visit hofstra.edu/welcomeday for more information.
If your question isn't answered here, please email firstname.lastname@example.org