Faculty Research, Education, and Development - FRED
The Office of the Senior Vice Provost organizes Faculty Research, Education, and Development (FRED) workshops, which provide faculty with training on a number of topics, including teaching, research, and professional development.
As educators, we must create multiple-choice tests that accurately measure student knowledge. Don't get bogged down deciding what questions to include on a test and how to write them. This session provides the foundation for planning a multiple-choice test, and keys to writing effective multiple-choice questions.
Academic programs must have strong goals and objectives that are aligned with Hofstra's mission and goals. This session helps you learn more about developing and designing goals, measurement tools, and how to utilize the online system Campus Labs Planning to track and gauge success.
Surveys can provide timely and accurate information for your department/program. This workshop explores the basics of survey design and implementation, as well as how to write effective survey questions.
• Innovations and Collaborations in Teaching and Learning VIEW VIDEO
• Community-Based Research VIEW VIDEO
• Diversity in Faculty Recruitment VIEW VIDEO
• Innovative Educational Technologies VIEW VIDEO
• Writing Assignments in the STEM Classroom
• Responding to Student Writing: “Minimal Marking” and Other Surprisingly Effective Strategies
• How to Successfully Work with a Culturally Diverse Student Body
• An Interactive Presentation with the EdTech Team
• Managing Unconscious Bias in the Classroom
• Building Your Digital Content – Minor Investments That Yield Big Returns
• Practical Approaches to Service Learning
Distinguished Faculty Lectures:
• How Much Authentic Intellectual Work is Taking Place in Your Classes?
• Studying Evacuation Decision-Making: Interdisciplinary Lessons from the Coastal Storm Awareness Program
Office for Research and Sponsored Programs Workshops:
• The Grants Process at Hofstra
• ORSP Grants Workshop: Cradle to Grave
• ORSP Grants Workshop: PIVOT
Our sessions can be customized to suit your area's needs. We can do one-hour seminars or up to half-day workshops. If there is a workshop/seminar you would like to have, but do not see it on our list, please email us. We will help you make all the necessary arrangements. Be sure to include your name, department, and contact information, along with which session you would like to have and what you are hoping to achieve.
To arrange a workshop/seminar: FRED@hofstra.edu