Innovative Communication Within and Across Communities
Saturday, October 15, 2011
8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Breslin Hall Room 211 and Dempster Hall Studio A
This is the second in a series of working conferences designed to discuss the challenges facing the local Latino media on Long Island and strategize ways to build integrated relationships between students, local media and community organizations.
By taking a look at the economic sustainability of local media, media representations and message pluralism, and the role of civic journalism in fostering community engagement, we’re hoping to begin a process of collaboration between Hofstra students and faculty, community activists, and local media creators.
Registration & Coffee
Breslin Hall, 2nd Floor Atrium
Welcome & Conference Introduction
Room 211, Breslin Hall
Dr. Evan Cornog, Dean, School of Communication
Opening Plenary: Llegó la Hora – Why a Second Latino Media Conference?
Dr. Arturo Sanchez, Urban Planner
Silvana J. Díaz, Publisher, Noticia
Omar Angel Perez, Executive Director, Workplace Project
Emilio Ruíz, Publisher, La Tribuna Hispana
Javier Castaño, adjunct professor, Hofstra University, Founder, QueensLatino.com
Moderated by Mario A. Murillo, Chair, Department of Radio, Television, Film, and Co-Director, Center for Civic Engagement, Hofstra University
10:45am Coffee Break, Breslin Hall, 2nd Floor Atrium
11:00am Keynote Presentation
Award-winning Journalist Juan Gonzalez, columnist New York Daily News, co-host Democracy Now, author of News for All the People: The Epic Story of Race and the American Media, and the 2011 Joseph G. Astman Distinguished Symposium Scholar.
12:15 to 1:30pm Lunch, provided by The Laguna Grille (Woodbury, LI)
Studio A, Dempster Hall
1:30pm 3:00pm Working Groups
- Digital News and Community Reporting Collaborations (NewsHub)
- Kelly Fincham, assistant professor, Journalism, Hofstra University
- Javier Castaño, Founder, QueensLatino.com
- Community Radio Collaborations (Room 141A)
- Mario A. Murillo, associate professor, RTVF, Hofstra University
- Rafael de Jesus III, adjunct communications professor, host of “La Clave,” WHPC Radio, Nassau Community College
- Student Producers and Community Volunteers, WRHU
- Video Action Projects (Room 300)
- Aashish Kumar, associate professor, RTVF, Hofstra University
- Eva Lewis, Deep Dish TV, coordinator UpRooted
- Ted Hesson, Online editor, Long Island WINS
- Social Media and Community Outreach (Room 122)
- Jeff Morosoff, assistant professor, Journalism, Hofstra University
- Jairo Zuluaga, Social media and marketing consultant
3:00pm Coffee Break, Studio A
3:30 to 5:00pm
Closing Plenary: Looking Forward: Report Back from the Working Groups
Moderated by Carol Fletcher, Associate Professor, Journalism, Hofstra
Presented in celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month
In cooperation with the Hofstra Cultural Center, the Latin and Caribbean Studies Program, the Center for Civic Engagement, and the National Center for Suburban Studies at Hofstra University, and with generous support from the Tribune New York Foundation.
For more information: Professor Mario A. Murillo, (516) 463-6062 or email.