Health & Safety
Health and Safety Protocol Education and Enforcement
We are all invested in the well-being of our community. To that end, all members of the campus community must adhere to Hofstra University’s health and safety requirements, including mask-wearing, physical distancing, capacity limits in common spaces such as lounges, classrooms, and elevators, and completing a daily online health screening before coming to campus or attending class.
The University will employ a combination of education and enforcement to ensure every member of the Hofstra Pride is following the new protocols. Please help us make this happen.
The University has engaged in a comprehensive campus-wide educational campaign, including signage, videos, and social media, to promote the new health and safety protocols and reinforce that every member of the Hofstra community has a personal and social responsibility to follow them.
In addition, Hofstra has created the Hofstra Health Ambassadors (HHA), a group of peer educators that will be deployed across campus to help inform the campus community about these new protocols and encourage compliance.
The University is committed to enforcing these safety protocols, and to providing you with tools and information about what to do if observe behavior that does not comply.
Should you see someone on campus failing to follow the health and safety protocols set out in the Code of Community Standards and outlined on the Hofstra SafeStart website, you have several options:
- If you are comfortable doing so, politely ask the person to follow the protocols – for example: “The University requires everyone to wear masks indoors – would you mind pulling yours up?”
- If you happen to observe non-compliance in areas where Student Health Ambassadors are stationed, bring this issue to their attention for support.
- If the situation is developing or ongoing and requires timely response, notify the Office of Public Safety by calling 463-6606. Public Safety will take appropriate action as necessary.
- If you observe non-compliance with health and safety protocols in a residence hall, you can alert a resident assistant, resident director, or other residence hall staff. The Dean of Students’ office is also available to assist you.
- If you observe this kind of behavior during an in-person class, you are encouraged to speak to your faculty member, if possible. You may also file a report with the Provost’s office by emailing email@example.com or calling 463-5402.
Students who refuse to follow these health and safety protocols will be subject to disciplinary action for failure to comply with a University policy under the Code of Community Standards, which could lead to penalties ranging from a warning to expulsion. Students will be subject to disciplinary action for violating health and safety protocols whether the behavior happens on or off campus, including actions that occur in off-campus housing. The new COVID-19 response sections of the Guide to Pride can be found under Health and Safety Community Standards.
In the classroom, if a student refuses to wear a mask or fails to comply with the ban on eating and drinking, the student will be withdrawn from the course, which would result in a “W’ for the semester. In addition, the student will be referred to the Office of Community Standards for further disciplinary action under the Health and Safety Community Standards. More information about classroom guidelines can be found on the Provost’s website.