Premedical Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program in Natural Science
Many students do not decide until after college that they want to pursue a career in the health professions. This program provides opportunity for both career changers and academic record enhancers to prepare for entrance into a medical profession of their choice. Students may also retake science courses to demonstrate an improved mastery of those subjects.
The program can be taken on a full or part-time basis and may be completed in as few as 15 months. Each student will receive a customized program plan based on academic background and career goals which will be created with the help of specially trained advisors. In order to earn the Certificate in Natural Sciences, students must earn a minimum of 32 credits.
There are many reasons to choose Hofstra for your Premedical Post-Baccalaureate studies.
- Career Changers – Students who have not previously studied the sciences to prepare for entrance into a medical/health profession of their choice
- Academic Record Enhancers – Students who wish to enhance their academic record for entrance into a medical/health professions program of their choice
- Individualized advisement geared towards preparing students for graduate medical and health professions programs including: Medical Doctor (MD or DO), Physician Assistant, Dentistry, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, Pharmacy, Nursing, Veterinarian, Chiropractic, Speech Language Pathology and more.
- Priority registration opportunities
- Application assistance to the graduate medical/health profession program of choice
All of the resources available to Hofstra students will be accessible for premedical Post-Baccalaureate students. This includes:
- All campus libraries
- Student Financial Services
- Residence Halls
- Center for Academic Excellence
- Fitness Center
- Career Services
- Student Counseling Services
Upon completion of this program, students may become eligible to sit before the Pre-Health Professions Advisory Committee for committee letters. To be eligible students must have completed at least 16 credits at Hofstra and meet the GPA criteria for that year.
Post-bacc students also have access to numerous student organizations including:
- American Medical Student Association (AMSA)
- Hofstra Association of Pre-Dental Students
- Minority Association of Pre-Health Students (MAPS)
- Physician Assistant Club (PA Club)
- Student Occupational Therapy Association
- Student Members of the American Chemical Society (SMACS)
- National Student Speech Language Hearing Association
- Health Professions Scholars Program (HPSP)
- Post-Baccalaureate Student Network
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis for the fall, spring, and summer semesters. However, we suggest that you apply as soon as possible in order to secure a seat in classes.
To apply, students must complete the Hofstra University Graduate Application online. You will need to upload copies of your bachelor’s degree transcript, transcripts from all post-secondary schools you have attended, and pay the $75 application fee. Our minimum GPA requirement is 3.0. Though not required, applicants may also submit additional materials to strengthen their application such as: a personal statement, letters of recommendation, resume, and standardized test scores (GRE/GMAT/MCAT).
Students with who fall below the 3.0 GPA requirement are still encouraged to apply but are recommended to submit supplemental application materials such as a personal statement of intent with an explanation of their undergraduate record, letters of recommendation and/or a resume with relevant experience.
Students who have completed this program have been accepted at many medical and health professions programs across the country including:
- Albert Einstein School of Medicine
- Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell
- Boston University School of Medicine
- SUNY Stony Brook School of Medicine
- SUNY Upstate Medical University
- SUNY Downstate College of Medicine
- John Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Drexel University College of Medicine
- Georgetown University School of Medicine
- Harvard Medical School
- New York Medical College
- New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Nova Southeastern University School of Medicine
- Sackler School of Medicine in Israel
- Yale University School of Medicine
- University of Pennsylvania Veterinary School
- Columbia University School of Dentistry
- New York University of Dentistry
For more information about the Premedical Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program, please contact us at premedpostbacc[at]hofstra.edu. You may also contact the Office of Graduate Admission at graduateadmission[at]hofstra.edu of 516-463-4723 with any questions you may have.