NOAH Scholars Pre-Freshman Summer Academy
New NOAH Scholars participate in a mandatory free Pre-Freshman Summer Academy before their first fall semester at Hofstra. Scholars reside on campus as part of a learning community that allows them to address individual academic needs and earn up to six (6) university credits, helping them adjust to the academic rigors of college-level coursework, strengthen their learning skills, develop relationships with faculty, and enhance their knowledge of competencies and strategies that will foster their academic excellence.
The Summer Academy also provides opportunities for scholars to participate in educational enrichment opportunities, such as alumni career panels, leadership development and multicultural educational programs that help prepare them for leadership at Hofstra and in their communities.
Overall, new NOAH Scholars acquire a major educational advantage because they:
- Embark on the academic career knowing how to adjust to rigorous college coursework.
- Earn college credits that will save educational costs and can accelerate the completion of their degree.
- Receive academic support in academic areas to help them excel at Hofstra.
- Become familiar with where the resources and support networks are at Hofstra.
- Become a member of a community of scholars that will enhance their educational experience at Hofstra.
- Cultivate critical thinking, complex reasoning and writing skills, which prepares them for future academic excellence.