Graduates! Congratulations as we near the celebration of your great achievement!
We are planning for an in-person commencement for our fall semester graduates this December 19th. More details will be available in the fall. As with our most recent commencement ceremonies, Hofstra University will be following New York State’s guidelines for commencements at that time. We look forward to celebrating your graduation.
Share your day!
We encourage you to share this momentous day on social media using the hashtag #HofGrad and tagging the Hofstra social media accounts.
If you are a new graduate (i.e. class of 2021) you will receive your diploma a few weeks after the end of the semester. Please be patient as COVID-19 protocols have made the process slightly longer. If you need proof of your diploma/completion of your degree for employment or other such matters, please contact the Office of Academic Records who will be able to assist.
The Office of Academic Records must certify you as eligible for graduation. Any outstanding financial obligations (i.e., tuition, fees or fines) must be paid prior to commencement. If you have questions regarding your eligibility, please call the Office of Academic Records at (516) 463-8000 (option 2).
Ceremony Attendance and Academic Attire Orders
To confirm graduation ceremony attendance and order your academic attire, please visit www.hofstra.edu/academicattire. You will be directed to the Hofstra portal. Simply follow the instructions, carefully check the order and click submit. An order confirmation will display. Orders for academic attire must be received by midnight Monday, November 15, 2021.
Additional academic attire will be ordered for students who miss the deadline or register late. Please follow the instructions in the Academic Attire Distribution paragraph to obtain academic attire after the deadline.
ACADEMIC ATTIRE DISTRIBUTION
Academic attire and ticket distribution will be on December 15th and 16th from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., and will be located in the Hofstra University bookstore. If you missed the deadline for ordering academic attire, there will be additional attire available during the scheduled academic attire and ticket distribution. If you are unable to pick up your academic attire during the scheduled distribution, your academic attire and tickets will be available for pick up one (1) hour prior to the commencement ceremony. Please check back after the start of the fall semester for updated information.
- When will I receive my diploma?
- Each student will receive notification by mail that his/her diploma has been received by the Office of Academic Records. Diplomas can be picked up during business hours in Memorial Hall Room 207. Hours are 9 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Summer hours are Monday through Thursday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m., Friday, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- How will I know if I have met all requirements for graduation?
- Undergraduates may check the Degree Audit Report (DAR) to determine progress toward completion of degree requirements, in addition to speaking with an adviser. The Office of Academic Records will notify students who have applied for graduation and have not met their requirements. Students will be mailed an early warning notice indicating any requirements that are lacking.
- I transferred credits to Hofstra from another University or from more than one school. Will I be eligible for honors?
- If you earn at least 60 credits in residency at Hofstra University, you will be eligible to receive your Baccalaureate Degree with distinction. For this purpose only, if you did not take at least 82 credits in residency at Hofstra, your transfer credit GPA will be considered in conjunction with your Hofstra GPA when calculating the GPA necessary for the various honors levels.
The earned levels of distinction are: summa cum laude: 3.85 or higher,
magna cum laude: 3.75 – 3.84, cum laude: 3.60 – 3.74
- How will the transfer GPA calculations affect my honors level?
- Only the credits and quality points from prior schools’ courses that are accepted by Hofstra are added to the student’s Hofstra credits and quality points to determine the combined GPA. In all cases, the student’s combined GPA must equal at least 3.6 in order for a student to graduate with distinction. If the combined GPA is higher than the Hofstra GPA, the level of honors is determined by the Hofstra GPA. If the combined GPA is lower than the Hofstra GPA, the level of honors are determined by the combined GPA. The level of honors is based on the lower of the two GPAs, Hofstra’s or the combined.
- Can you give me an example of transfer GPA calculations?
- If you earn at least 82 credits in residency at Hofstra, only your Hofstra GPA will be considered when determining your level of distinction. If you earn between 60 and 82 credits at Hofstra, we will consider the other schools’ GPA to determine the level.
Other schools: GPA 3.7
Hofstra: GPA 3.9
Combined: GPA 3.8
Honors: magna cum laude – since the combined GPA is lower than the Hofstra GPA, the level of honors is determined by the combined GPA (3.8)]
Other schools: GPA 3.9
Hofstra: GPA 3.7
Combined: GPA 3.8
Honors: cum laude – since the combined GPA is higher than the Hofstra GPA, the level of honors is determined by the Hofstra GPA (3.7)
- I am completing my graduation requirements but not attending classes. Do I need to complete any paperwork?
- Students who have been granted permission to complete final semester graduation requirements while not attending classes must pay a Maintain Matriculation fee, and file a registration card during the regular registration period for their final semester.
All students are required to file an Application for Graduation in the Office of Academic Records, room 207 Memorial Hall, in accordance with the dates below:
• Candidates for May graduation must file by October 1. Applications received after October 1 are subject to a $25.00 fee. Applications received after March 1 are subject to a $50.00 fee.
• Candidates for August graduation must file by March 1. Applications received after March 1 are subject to a $25.00 fee. Applications received after August 15 are subject to a $50.00 fee.
• Candidates for December graduation must file by May 1. Applications received after May 1 are subject to a $25.00 fee. Applications received after October 1 are subject to a $50.00 fee.
• Candidates for May graduation must file by March 1. Applications received after March 1 are subject to a $25.00 fee.
• Candidates for August graduation (no ceremony) must file by June 15 (if they are attending Summer Session I), July 15 (if they are attending Summer Session II), or August 15 (if they are attending Summer Session III). Applications received after these dates are subject to a $25 fee.
Candidates for December graduation must file by October 1. Applications received after October 1 are subject to a $25.00 fee.
Students will receive information from the Commencement Office, (516) 463-4346, regarding time, tickets, cap and gowns, etc.
Once a student has graduated from Hofstra, a replacement diploma or certificate with a name other than the name shown on the original diploma or certificate will be ordered upon request, if the student can provide proper documentation that he/she was entitled to use the proposed name change on or before the date of graduation.
A completed Diploma Replacement Form may be submitted to the Office of Academic Records, Room 207 Memorial Hall, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
If the student does not have or cannot print out a Diploma Replacement Form, the following information may be submitted in writing:
- Name if different when attended
- Student ID#
- Degree received
- Date degree was granted
- Address to send diploma
The fee is $35.00. Check or money order (made payable to Hofstra University) must be sent to:
Office of Academic Records
Memorial Hall, Room 207
126 Hofstra University
Hempstead, NY 11549-1260
Unless the original diploma is returned, the following statement will be printed on the bottom of the replacement diploma:
THIS DOCUMENT IS ISSUED (date) AS A REPLACEMENT FOR THE ORIGINAL DIPLOMA
Replacement diplomas require approximately six to eight weeks for printing.
Photos and Flowers
Island Photography has been selected by Hofstra University to photograph each graduate during the commencement ceremony. Every graduate will be photographed twice crossing the stage. First, shaking hands with the President and, second, in front of the University Flag upon exiting the stage.
You can call Island Photography at (800) 869-0908 or visit www.islandphoto.com to register your information and ensure that you receive your proofs.
Commencement candidates and guests may visit https://www.thecommencementgroup.com/hofstra to order flowers. These flowers will be available for pickup in front of Shuart Stadium the day or night of the commencement.