Hofstra University Departments
This document sets forth the procedures for University departments wishing to participate in the University’s licensing program in accordance with the University Trademark Licensing Policy.
To ensure consistency in the use of the University's name and logos, all products, signage, or packaging bearing reference to Hofstra University must be produced by manufacturers licensed through the University's licensing agent, Learfield Licensing Partners. Only officially licensed manufacturers carry appropriate product liability insurance naming Hofstra an additional insured and agree to abide by an established labor code of conduct.
Process & Procedures
Hofstra University departments desiring to sell or distribute t-shirts or other products on or off campus must obtain approval of their Director or Dean. Additional approvals may be required as outlined below.
Permission to sell products may be given to departments that adhere to the following policy and complete the request form.
- Licensing approval for the use of registered Hofstra University marks on any product for sale or distribution by Hofstra departments will be subject to the following restrictions and requirements:
- Written approval must be obtained through the department’s Director or Dean prior to submission to the vendor.
- All products must be produced or purchased by an approved, licensed vendor of Hofstra University. A list of licensed vendors is available at Internal Vendor List
- The vendor must receive approval through the Trademarx Online system, administered by the university trademarks partner Learfield Licensing Partners, prior to the production of any product using any Hofstra marks.
- The product must have the name (or letters) of the department prominently displayed on the product.
- Distribution of the product is generally restricted to the department members and on dates for a particular event.
- Use of Hofstra University marks on the products must be confined to the standard registered marks. Such marks can be incorporated into a custom design on the product with appropriate approval from the Office of the VP for University Relations.
- Design requirements must be met on all areas of the product. For example, printing on the inside of a shirt for reversible wearing must meet all requirements.
- No reference can be made, either directly or indirectly, to any individual athlete, athletic squad, athletic team, or athletic event that the University participates in as a competitive representative of the Colonial Athletic Association Conference under NCAA rules and regulations.
- All approved products containing or including any Hofstra University trademarks for distribution by a Hofstra University department will not be subject to any royalty fees.
- All Hofstra University departments must comply with all aspects of the University Trademark Licensing Policy.
- Designs containing non-Hofstra trademarks and phrases (Coke, “Just Do It,” cartoon characters, etc.) must have written permission from the copyright owner before the design will be approved.
- Violators of the established policy will be subject to the following sanctions:
- For unapproved, but approvable, product designs, distribution of the product shall be stopped until the design is submitted to the Trademarx Online system and approved.
- For unapproved and unapprovable product designs, the department will not be able to sell or distribute the product.
Additional Information for Departments
If a department wishes to sell products, there are other concerns that need to be addressed. Please contact the Purchasing department and review the University’s.