- A credit balance must currently exist on the student account before a refund can be requested. No refunds will be generated based on pending aid.
- It is the responsibility of the student to monitor the payment activity on their student account via the portal to determine when a credit balance exists. A refund request may then be submitted through the portal (as per the instructions on how to request your refund).
- Please note that a refund request must be made each time a credit balance is reflected on the student account. Credit balances may result from:
- Each time financial aid disburses to the student account
- When charges are reversed
- When additional payments are applied to the student account
Please Note: Student accounts are not to be used as bank accounts. Please do not make recurring, partial refund requests (i.e., on an “as-needed” basis) from the student account. If such a pattern becomes apparent, the Office of the Bursar/Student Accounts may, at its discretion, refund the full, available credit balance on the student account.
Students have a choice between:
- eRefund (“Direct Deposit”)
- The refund will be sent directly from the University’s bank to a designated personal U.S. bank account. Download instructions on how to create the direct deposit eRefund account.
- This is the most efficient means of receiving a refund. Once an eRefund account is established, all future refunds will be processed to this designated account, unless the authorization is revoked by the student.
- The student will automatically receive an email each time that an eRefund is sent electronically to the designated U.S. bank account.
- It is the student’s responsibility to ensure the bank account is entered correctly upon setup and to verify the availability of funds in the bank account before making transactions (withdrawals, writing checks, etc.).
- Checks will be mailed to the mailing address listed on the student’s account, which can be found on the Hofstra portal.
- NOTE: You must ensure that the mailing address on the portal account is accurate! If a check is sent to an address at which a student no longer resides, considerable delays will occur while the address is updated/corrected, and a new check is produced.
- In-person pick-up
- Checks will be available for pick-up in Room 206 Memorial Hall, South Campus.
- The student must present their student ID card to receive the check.
- The student will receive an email from the Office of the Bursar/Student Accounts once the check is ready to be picked up. Checks not picked up after three weeks will be mailed to the mailing address listed on the student’s account.
If you received a refund that you did not request, it is most likely due to Federal Mandates:
- Students who receive Federal Title IV financial aid that exceeds the total of their institutional charges for the term are required to receive an automatic refund within 14 days of the earliest of either the date of the disbursement to the student account or the start of the term.
- The only exception is for those students who have completed the Title IV authorization form and therefore authorized the University to hold excess Title IV funds for the term. Download instructions for completing the Title IV authorization form.
- Please note that the University is required to refund the excess Title IV funds at the end of the loan period, even for those students who have the hold authorization on file.
Tuition Refund Plan
Thank you for your interest in the Tuition Refund Plan (TRP). The enrollment period for the fall 2021 semester is now open!
This refund plan would supplement the University's published refund schedule. Subscribers are eligible for a refund throughout the term through the TRP, even when Hofstra University's refund policy has expired. Costs covered by the TRP include tuition only. The plan will refund up to 70% of insured tuition charges for personal injury/sickness withdrawal or 70% of insured tuition charges for mental health withdrawal.
Please view the 2021-2022 brochure.
This tuition refund insurance plan is made available for your convenience and at your option. Hofstra University is not associated with, nor has received any benefit from, A.W.G. Dewar, Inc., or Intact Insurance Specialty Solutions.
The optional enrollment fee is only $181 per semester (available for fall 2021 and spring 2022 only).
You may enroll directly through Hofstra either by:
- Selecting "Yes" at the prompt during registration/adding classes, etc., the charge will be added to your account by the Bursar Team OR
- Adding the fee to your payment while paying your bill online once fall (mid-June) and spring (mid-November) invoices become available to pay OR
- Clicking collegerefund.com and paying the fee directly to A.W.G. Dewar, Inc.
Please note that enrollment in the plan must take place prior to the start of the semester for the school at which you are enrolled.
The charge/payment of the fee is nonrefundable once the semester has begun for the school at which you are enrolled.
If you wish to opt out of enrollment in the plan, you must notify firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the start of the semester.