Department of Mathematics
Welcome to Hofstra's Department of Mathematics! We offer a comprehensive program in undergraduate mathematics, with options for emphasis on areas such as applied mathematics, elementary or secondary education, computer science, actuarial science, engineering, physics, and chemistry. Math majors have gone on to successful careers in teaching, finance, industry, law, medicine, and actuarial science, in addition to graduate work in the sciences, business, and statistics.
Teaching excellence is our highest priority. We aim to create a nurturing and friendly atmosphere for our students while maintaining high academic standards.
In addition to our strong commitment to teaching, our faculty are actively engaged in scholarly research and involved in local, national, and international mathematical organizations and conferences. We welcome our qualified undergraduate mathematics majors to become involved in our research by doing an honors project.
Highlights of the Mathematics Department include:
- BA programs in Mathematics and Mathematics Education, and BS programs in Mathematics, Mathematical Finance, and Mathematics & Computer Science.
- A distinguished faculty.
- An active seminar with talks by visiting and local researchers.
- Co-curricular activities including the Mathematics Club, the Actuarial Science Club, and a campus chapter of Pi Mu Epsilon (the national mathematics honor society).
- A challenging problem of the month.
- Opportunities to participate in the annual Putnam Competition, one of the most prestigious math contests for undergraduate students in the United States and Canada, as well as to work as peer tutors in Hofstra's Mathematics Tutoring Center.
The department also hosts the Al Kalfus Long Island Math Fair.